The Parish Church of St.Teilo occupies the site of one of the earliest Christian settlements in Wales.  The Welsh name of the village is Llandeilo Ferwallt.  Which means “Church of St.Teilo in Ferwallt”, and has a number of interpretations.


According to the Book of Llandaff, the church dates back to 460-490 A.D. when Teilo established a Llan (Church) hidden in a dell above the stream.  This was an enclosure, probably no more than a simple wooden fenced area, open to the sky, where the faithful met for worship and to celebrate the Eucharist. Later, a cell or small Chapel was constructed on the site.


In the year AD 1130 the Pope settled the patronage of the Church on the Bishop of Llandaff and it remained in that Diocese until 1920. Thus Bishopston derives its name from having been, “the Bishops Town”, an Episcopal Manor with its Court Leet, until 1923.


The Church, dedicated to St.Teilo, still keeps its ”mapsant” or Patron Saint’s Day which is on the 9th of February.

Worship at St Teilo's


                             8.30                                10.00

1st Sunday                                               Sung Eucharist

2nd Sunday     In Rota with other churches in the Benefice

3rd Sunday                                              Sung Eucharist

4th Sunday      Said Eucharist               Family Service

5th Sunday      In Rota with other churches in the Benefice


4 pm Campion Gardens Service (Nazareth Chapel)


9.30 am - Celtic Communion at the Lamplighter





For more details on services please see calendar of events

St Teilo's, Bishopston has its own website which can be found here.


Rev Canon Peter Brooks

01792 232928 - Email




Rev Nigel King

01792 233124 - Email

The Church in Wales

Yr Eglwys yng Nghymru

©The Parish of Three Cliffs is part of the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon in the Church in Wales